Saturday, February 6, 2010

Getting Ready to Go

I am getting ready to begin a new adventure. I do not know what to expect, but I am going to be open to where I am being led.

Through the generosity of many people, I am able to take a lot of things to the children I will be visiting. Thank you everyone for your overwhelming generosity.

I will be visiting children in an orphanage, a high school and a remote school with pre-school children and children with special needs. I hope that I will especially be able to help these children with their special needs. Many of these children do not talk or communicate. These children with varying needs, ages 3 to 17 receive little education; they are all placed in one room. I am preparing to take a sampling of ten pictures that will help them learn to communicate their needs to others. These pictures are of daily living activities that they need for their life. I am also taking letters of encouragement to the young people in the high school from the students at North Hunterdon High School in Annandale where I used to teach.

This trip became available to me because of my sister and brother-in-law in Tellico Village, Tennessee. Bob, my brother-in-law has gone on many Mission Trips with the Baptist Church. My sister-in-law, Janice told me of his next trip, one to South Africa. Of course, I said that I would love to go to Africa. I asked Janice what they needed and she read from a notice that the first thing they needed was a Special Education teacher. Talk about a Godincident. Well, it took only a minute for me to decide to go. So on October 7th, I made my reservations.

I will fly out of JFK on Monday, February 15th to Amsterdam and arrive there on Tuesday morning and meet up with Bob, my brother-in-law, Charlie, the pastor of the Tellico Village Baptist Church, and another man, Ken. They will be flying in from Atlanta. We will then board the plane to Cape Town and arrive in Cape Town late that night. There is a 7 hour difference between the east coast and Cape Town.

I have a new netbook which I am taking and I hope that I will be able to access the internet and post of this blog. I have contacted the people in Cape Town and they say that there are cell tours all around the area that we will be staying.

We are staying in a beautiful 3 bedroom Guest House on the Precept Ministries property. We are at 6 Wisteria Lane. It has a living room with a tv and such, three bedrooms, a bathroom, a laundry room and a full kitchen. There are pictures on the internet of it.

All my bags are almost packed and I am ready to go!!! I am bringing four skirts and many different tops to wear daily. Married women must wear skirts. I am hoping to purchase some fabric and yarn while I am there.

Wish me luck and pray that all goes well.

Johnine

No comments:

Post a Comment